Sarah E. Harmon practices in the areas of appellate advocacy and civil/business litigation, including breach of contract, fraud, legal malpractice, products liability, complex civil litigation, and many other types of business disputes. Her experience with appellate advocacy includes appeals from adverse judgments and orders as well as petitions for extraordinary writ relief.
As an appellate advocate and civil litigator, Ms. Harmon has assisted a diverse array of clients, including hotel/casinos, insurance companies, hospitals, other businesses, and individuals in obtaining the best possible outcome in their case. With a strong knowledge and understanding of the Rules of Civil Procedure and the Rules of Evidence, as well as the ability to play Devil’s Advocate when developing case strategies, Ms. Harmon can assist clients with obtaining settlements and judgments before going to trial, avoiding reversible errors at trial, and properly preserving issues for an appeal. For Ms. Harmon, professionalism is of the utmost importance. She will always timely respond to your questions, listen to your concerns, and provide an honest assessment of your case.
- Bench trial of a contractual dispute regarding the purchase and sale of a multi-million dollar residential project, with the trial resulting in a verdict for the client along with a substantial award of attorney’s fees.
- Jury trial of a fraud and breach of contract action regarding the sale of a golf course, resulting in favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented a telecommunications networking company in an action for misappropriation of trade secrets, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented casino corporation in appeal of judgment in its favor in a personal injury action, resulting in Order of Affirmance of jury verdict from the Nevada Supreme Court.
- Represented large insurance carrier in indemnification/contribution action filed by competing insurance carrier, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented multiple real estate brokers in a breach of contract and fraud action against a hotel mogul and a large condominium project, resulting in favorable settlement for the client.
- Obtained writ of mandamus from Nevada Supreme Court instructing district court to vacate an order disqualifying client as trial counsel in a large construction defect action.
- Represented tobacco companies as local counsel, coordinating the defense of over 25 putative class actions, resulting in the denial of class certification in each case by the United States District Court for the District of Nevada and dismissal of all actions with prejudice.
- Represented several large internet retailers as local counsel, coordinating the defense of claims asserted under the False Claims Act, including a successful appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court of a denial of a motion to dismiss based on a sales tax issue of first impression.
- Represented Las Vegas’ biggest gaming player as local counsel, coordinating the defense of a criminal action involving claims for passing bad checks to a casino, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client and dismissal of all charges.
- Represented health care company as local counsel, coordinating the defense of putative nationwide-class action involving RICO claims and claims for deceptive trade practices and unfair trade practices, resulting in dismissal of all claims with prejudice by the Eighth Judicial District Court for the District of Nevada.
- Represented casino corporation in a putative class action concerning personal injury claims stemming from an alleged gastrointestinal outbreak, resulting in the denial of class certification by the Eighth Judicial District Court for the District of Nevada.
- Represented casino corporation in high-profile personal injury action regarding a shooting between patrons after they left the casino’s premises, resulting in a dismissal of all claims with prejudice.
- Represented an insurance company in an abuse of process action and an appeal from a related personal injury action, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented a health care facility in a federal false claims action, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
Articles and Publications
- Removal of State Court Actions to Federal Court 8-part Series
- Checklist for Respondents in Civil Appeals in Nevada (2021)
- Checklist for Appellants in Civil Appeals in Nevada (2021)
- The Nevada Supreme Court is Searching for the “Extraordinary” (2021)
- The Changing Scope of Attorney-Client Privilege in Nevada (2020)
- New Limitations on the Length of Writ Petitions in Nevada and Additional Amendments to NRAP 21 (2020)
- The Nevada Supreme Court Clarifies the Scope of the Phrase “Possession, Custody, or Control” for the Purpose of Discovery (2020)
- I Want to Appeal . . . How Do I Start the Process? (Apr. 20, 2020)
- New Notice Requirement for Subpoenas Duces Tecum (Aug. 6, 2019)
- Initial Civil Appeals: Nevada, Westlaw’s Practical Law Q&A (2015-2020)
- Additional Civil Appeals: Nevada, Westlaw’s Practical Law Q&A (2015-2020)
- Commencing an Action: Nevada, Westlaw’s Practical Law Q&A (2015-2020)
- Responding to a Complaint: Nevada, Westlaw’s Practical Law Q&A (2015-2020)
- Nevada Civil Practice Manual, Lexis, Executive Editor of 5th edition (2003-2013)
Additional resources can also be found at www.linkedin.com/in/sarahharmonbk
Prior Professional Experience
- Associate, Lionel Sawyer & Collins (May 2002-February 2006)
Professional and Civic Involvement
- Mediator, Inmate Mediation Program, United States District Court, District of Nevada (2015-present)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas (Spring 2015, Spring 2016)
- Editorial Staff, Nevada Civil Practice Manual (Fifth Edition)
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
- University of San Diego, School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2002
- Executive Editor, San Diego Law Review, 2001-2002
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, B.S.B.A, magna cum laude, 1999
- State Bar of Nevada
- United States District Court for the District of Nevada
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals