Sarah E. Harmon practices in the areas of appellate advocacy and complex civil litigation, including class actions, product defects, tobacco litigation, business torts, fraud, breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, insurance coverage disputes, and professional malpractice.
- Second-chaired a bench trial of a contractual dispute regarding the purchase and sale of a multi-million dollar residential project, with the trial resulting in a verdict for the client along with a substantial award of attorney’s fees.
- Second-chaired a jury trial of a fraud and breach of contract action regarding the sale of a golf course, resulting in favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented a telecommunications networking company in an action for misappropriation of trade secrets, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented casino corporation in appeal of judgment in its favor in a personal injury action, resulting in Order of Affirmance of jury verdict from the Nevada Supreme Court.
- Represented large insurance carrier in indemnification/contribution action filed by competing insurance carrier, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented multiple real estate brokers in a breach of contract and fraud action against a hotel mogul and a large condominium project, resulting in favorable settlement for the client.
- Obtained writ of mandamus from Nevada Supreme Court instructing district court to vacate an order disqualifying client as trial counsel in a large construction defect action.
- Represented tobacco companies as local counsel, coordinating the defense of over 25 putative class actions, resulting in the denial of class certification in each case by the United States District Court for the District of Nevada and dismissal of all actions with prejudice.
- Represented several large internet retailers as local counsel, coordinating the defense of claims asserted under the False Claims Act, including a successful appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court of a denial of a motion to dismiss based on a sales tax issue of first impression.
- Represented Las Vegas’ biggest gaming player as local counsel, coordinating the defense of a criminal action involving claims for passing bad checks to a casino, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client and dismissal of all charges.
- Represented health care company as local counsel, coordinating the defense of putative nationwide-class action involving RICO claims and claims for deceptive trade practices and unfair trade practices, resulting in dismissal of all claims with prejudice by the Eighth Judicial District Court for the District of Nevada.
- Represented casino corporation in a putative class action concerning personal injury claims stemming from an alleged gastrointestinal outbreak, resulting in the denial of class certification by the Eighth Judicial District Court for the District of Nevada.
Prior Professional Experience
- Associate, Lionel Sawyer & Collins (May 2002-February 2006)
Professional and Civic Involvement
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Editorial Staff, Nevada Civil Practice Manual (Fifth Edition)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas (Spring 2015)
- Mediator, Inmate Mediation Program, United States District Court, District of Nevada (2015)
- University of San Diego, School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2002
- Executive Editor, San Diego Law Review, 2001-2002
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, B.S.B.A, magna cum laude, 1999
- State Bar of Nevada
- United States District Court for the District of Nevada
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals